Mm Easter is almost here, which means chocolate chocolate oh… and more chocolate! Right?
So in the spirit of pre-easter feels, I rustled up a batch of chocolate-y easter goodness 🙂
These muffins were gorgeous, a simple chocolate sponge.. with rich velvety chocolate buttercream and a selection of mini eggs/creme eggs on top.
To accompany the cupcakes I just HAD to get some new cases, its crazy just how pretty some of the cupcake cases are and they really add to the overall appearance of the cakes.
These cases really are gorgeous, just simple but dainty floral design and are perfect for the Easter time OR mothers day!
The chocolate buttercream is my tried and tested absolute favourite buttercream recipe EVER. It always come out rich and velvety, it’s a real hit with everyone! Even my fussy dad who ‘doesn’t like buttercream’ absolutely adores it :p
It is a buttercream that I wouldn’t recommend making in advance, due to the fact it has melted chocolate it can become stiff and a little dry if left to stand alone.
I will add a small post with a recipe for the buttercream at some point soon just for the ease of finding it!
I also used a closed star nozzle to pipe but obviously the choice is yours regarding that :p
If you’re not feeling all that Easter-y then without the toppings (or with?) these would make delicious mothers day muffins, you could include whichever toppings you like! Maybe fondant red hearts? or a little collection of daisies cascading down the side!
In all honesty the case and topping are perfect bases for any design you want/any occasion! Just a teeny play with flavours and design and it’s like a little electric ball of endless possibilities.
This recipe makes 9 muffins and 12 cupcakes.
So here is the recipe, if you are new, please check out my other recipes!
I have a small collection of sweet recipes and equally savoury bits and pieces 🙂
For the muffins:
- 175g softened unsalted butter
- 165g caster sugar
- 40g good quality cocoa powder (I used Bournville)
- 4 tbsp just boiled water
- 3 eggs
- 115g self raising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 rounded tsp baking powder
For the buttercream:
- 75g melted chocolate
- 150g softened butter
- 200g icing sugar
- 100g cocoa powder
- 1 small pack of mini eggs and mini creme eggs.
- Preheat the oven to 180/160 degrees fan and line the muffin tray with the cases.
- Add the cocoa powder to a mixing bowl, add the boiling water and mix until a thick but smooth paste has formed. (it begins to smell so good at this point)
- Add both the butter and caster sugar to the cocoa paste and beat until creamed together and smooth.
- Add the eggs and flour, either alternately, or all in one and mix well, ensuring none of the flour has sunk to the bottom and the mixture has an even consistancy.
- Fold in the baking powder and spoon the mixture into the cases evenly. (I try to fill them all at least halfway) and bake in the oven for around 12-15 minutes until they are cooked through and spring back when you prod them!
- Leave to cool, for as long as you can resist;) until cool enough that you can pipe the buttercream onto 🙂
- For the buttercream, melt the chocolate in a small glass bowl over a pan of simmering water until smooth and fully melted, careful not to let it burn!
Then take off heat and leave to cool a little…
- Whilst the chocolate is cooling, beat the butter in a clean bowl (alternatively a mixer is so much easier;)) until it is smooth and has no lumps.
- Sieve the sugar and cocoa powder and beat beat beat, until it has come together and starts to resemble buttercream, haha.
- Add the melted chocolate and maybe a little milk to loosen, if needed! Fill a piping bag and pipe away!
- Cut the creme eggs in half and decorate at your own will!
Hope everyone has a lovely week!
Happy Baking X