I definitely have a secret love affair with anything almond…
Its finally past the midweek point and the weather is still warm and sunny. YES! It’s been well needed for months and now all the plants and flowers are growing, it’s starting to look really pretty everywhere ❤
It’s also has given me a sudden urge to bake alot! I have an ever-growing list of potentional cake-y things I want to try out and not enough time.
Also, bake off creme de la creme is back on?!?! OH YEAH! I love this show… not as much as GBBO but, almost! ^.^
oh… and masterchef?! even better. My evenings can now be consumed by more food related things and its the perfect excuse to laze around 😉
Cherry Bakewell Inspired Muffins
These muffins are perfection.
Its always been a cake/tart that I would obsess over when I was younger. Amaretto also happens to be my favourite spirit too :p
I think it started in school when I made Cherry bakewell tarts. The sticky jam and soft frangipane on top just makes my mouth water and from there, it just seemed to increase my love even more ❤
Then again, anything that has an almond flavour is regarded as being one of my favourites!
Imagine a cherry bakewell tart… just as a muffin! They are my mum’s favourite muffins that I make and used to be my old work colleagues too! They really do taste like a bakewell tart, obviously without the pastry though.
The muffins themselves have a double dose of almond, both from the ground almonds and extract. They are soft,fluffy and bursting with that almond flavour.
Now, what use is making bakewell inspired muffin without the sweet morello cherry jam? 😉
I put the jam into the cupcakes after they’ve been baked and cooled. I have tried in the past to put the jam in the middle of the mixture before cooking but it just oozed everywhere 😦 So now its back to using a knife and taking a small section out and replacing like a lid afterwards!
Just for the extra sweetness, there is the flavoured icing on top. with the glace cherry half in the middle much like the iconic afternoon treat.
It is a basic icing, merely consisting of icing sugar, lemon juice and almond extract. it was super easy to make and makes a great alternative to the rich buttercream we all love to have on our muffins!!
So, i’ve definitely rambled a lot about the love for these.. I will add the recipe below, be great to know if you do try these out and how they go 🙂
Please be sure to check out my other recipes and give a follow 🙂
Have a good weekend guys!
Quick Note: this recipe makes 12 muffins!
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 225g/8oz unsalted butter,softened
- 150g/5oz self raising flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 100g/3.5oz ground almonds
- 1½ tsp almond extract
- 1½ tbsp milk
- 150-175g/5½ oz of morello cherry conserve
- 250g/9oz of icing sugar
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp roughly of almond extract
- Glace cherries.
- Preheat the oven to 160° degrees/320° Farenheit.
- For the muffins- cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl (by hand of mixer!) add the rest of the ingredients, leaving the jam aside! and combine until mixed thoroughly 🙂
- Line a muffin tray with cases and spoon the mixture into each case. Cook in the often for 12-15 minutes, until cooked through and springy to the touch.
My oven is a pain and i have to turn my muffins at various points of the bake to ensure they bake evenly!
- Once cooked, leave to cool.
- Using a sharp knife perform the muffin surgery and take a small section out from the middle (cut a circle in the top and scoop out) put a small teaspoon of jam in the middle and replace the muffin like a lid, press down gently to ensure its back to being level 🙂
- In a clean dry mixing bowl, sieve the icing sugar in and add the lemon juice/almond extract, use a spoon and mix. It may need a little extra almond extract if abit dry.
The icing should be gloopy but smooth, spoon over each of the muffins, letting it move to the edges and top with a cherry half!
Lots of love